One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A single type specimen upon which the description and name of a new species is based.Compare with syntype
- ‘The holotype of this species might be a juvenile as there are larger specimens in our collection.’
- ‘To our knowledge, the holotype is the only other documented specimen in the species.’
- ‘The holotype and largest fragment of the new species is 59 mm high.’
- ‘Other skull elements are similar to those described in the holotype.’
- ‘Additional character state information was also incorporated from descriptions of holotypes and additional fossil material.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.