Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the full number of planes required by the symmetry of a crystal system.
- ‘Less frequently, crystals are found with various habits that suggest holohedral symmetry.’
- ‘X-ray study confirms the holohedral character of the structure.’
- ‘In this regard, at least one outer layer of the printed circuit board is embodied as either a holohedral or grid-shaped shielding layer.’
- ‘If, for example, the diameter of the measuring opening of the photometer is 30 mm, then the length of 90 mm is selected for the holohedral to be produced.’
- ‘In effect, magnetite does not have internal holohedral cubic symmetry, although the form faces of a crystal do appear as holohedral.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.