One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study or production of holograms.
- ‘Our three-year high school photonics program encourages students to train as laser technicians, and holography teaches them many useful skills.’
- ‘We'll cover the fundamentals needed to understand basic optical concepts such as radiometry, polarization, diffraction, and holography, including some examples of how these concepts are used in various applications.’
- ‘Engineers used laser holography to take an image of vibrations created by the minivan's body.’
- ‘In classical holography, a laser beam reflected off an object interferes with a reference beam, and the interference pattern is recorded on a photographic plate.’
- ‘Unlike related technologies, which record one data bit at a time onto the surface of a disc, holography allows 1 million bits of data to be written and read out in a single flash of light.’
- ‘One particularly interesting outcome of such research was the invention of holography and the hologram by Hungarian-born engineer Dennis Gabor in 1947.’
- ‘Perhaps technologies such as virtual reality or holography will provide yet another dimension to what can be learned and shared.’
- ‘The now complicated relations between the medium of photography and ideas about art are extended by developments in laser holography, computer graphics, film, and video.’
- ‘Imagine that holography has been so perfected that a laser-illuminated hologram of an object can, under certain observational conditions, be indistinguishable from the real thing.’
- ‘One day, Donnelly wandered into a lab and saw a student working with holography.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.