Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Serving dishes and accessories, especially of silver, that are hollow or concave.Compare with flatware
- ‘It is, however, the silver hollowware that takes pride of place on the sideboard.’
- ‘His products ranged over a great variety of domestic items including furniture, light fittings, domestic metal hollowware, and a variety of small decorative items.’
- ‘Silver hollowware made in New Orleans is also displayed in the bookcase.’
- ‘Apothecary glass was always a staple, and at several points during the Bakewell, Page and Bakewell partnership, the glassworks even manufactured green glass bottles and hollowware.’
- ‘In contrast to tortoiseshell and color-glazed wares, the pale surface of creamware proved a perfect canvas for overglaze pictorial decoration, particularly on coffee- and teawares and hollowware forms such as tankards and jugs.’
- ‘There are letters as well as objects that Nelson used regularly, such as silver hollowware and porcelain table-ware.’
- ‘In place of laboriously hammered sheets of silver, he began to make hollowware from rolled silver that could easily be joined with a seam.’
- ‘There are more than two hundred pieces in the exhibition, including examples of both silver and silverplated hollowware and flatware.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.