Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An atom in which inner-shell electrons are missing, usually as a result of electrical excitation.
- ‘Hence, in a fist step, we plan to study the emission of slow electrons by the deexciting hollow atoms formed at the surface.’
- ‘The figure shows the creation of highly excited hollow atoms by multiple electron capture.’
- ‘These results revive the question regarding the dynamics of the hollow atom in the first steps of the interaction.’
- ‘A so called hollow atom is created with empty inner shells inside a quasi neutral atom.’
- ‘Already, these hollow atoms are bringing glimpses of the quantum world at work.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.