One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An atom in which inner-shell electrons are missing, usually as a result of electrical excitation.
- ‘A so called hollow atom is created with empty inner shells inside a quasi neutral atom.’
- ‘The figure shows the creation of highly excited hollow atoms by multiple electron capture.’
- ‘These results revive the question regarding the dynamics of the hollow atom in the first steps of the interaction.’
- ‘Hence, in a fist step, we plan to study the emission of slow electrons by the deexciting hollow atoms formed at the surface.’
- ‘Already, these hollow atoms are bringing glimpses of the quantum world at work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.