A creamy sauce of melted butter, egg yolks, and lemon juice or vinegar, served especially with fish.
- ‘Eggs Benedict and eggs florentine with hollandaise sauce are also a must, so you'll have to keep going back for more.’
- ‘A waitress in a tartan tie and black waistcoat is timidly asking the busy canapé-constructing chef, ‘What's hollandaise sauce?’’
- ‘Or serve with hollandaise sauce; or use it as vegetable with an exotic dip.’
- ‘All mains were served with vegetables and potatoes, but we went for broccoli with hollandaise sauce, a moreish combination to say the least.’
- ‘Breakfast ranges from a croissant and three jams, at $3, to the manuka house smoked salmon with sautéed spinach, toasted croissant, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce for $13.’
- ‘If you opt for a fish dish for your main meal, diver harvested scallops wrapped in bacon with hollandaise sauce is sure to get the mouth watering.’
- ‘The rest of the food was okay, nothing extraordinary, but it hit the spot and satisfied you in a way only eggs in hollandaise sauce can.’
- ‘Dishes include a vegetarian choice, comfort food such as sausages and mash or steak and kidney pie, and a more a la carte selection such as salmon in a hollandaise sauce or chicken chasseur.’
- ‘For the main course I had the spinach and mushroom pancake served with hollandaise sauce and cafe salad for €8.75.’
- ‘Pregnant women should avoid foods made with raw or partially cooked eggs, like egg nog and hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘A dressing of lemon butter or hollandaise sauce suits it.’
- ‘The all-day breakfast brings together one of the most sublime combinations of ingredients - bacon and eggs, toasted muffins and buttery hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘But there's nothing like a vibrant yellow hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘While never threatening to reach the same heights as my beef, Vicky's salmon with asparagus and hollandaise sauce got a definite thumbs-up.’
- ‘The fishcakes erred reassuringly on the enormous side, towering above a small pile of water cress salad and a pool of hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘My grilled smoked salmon with hollandaise sauce was unremarkable, but - as with all the dishes - came in commendably industrial quantities.’
- ‘The dish was anointed with a gentle, green-flecked, herby hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘My companion, Vicky, began with grilled oysters with crispy bacon and hollandaise sauce, which was particularly special.’
- ‘I went for the tower of Scottish salmon with spinach purée and a dill hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘Personally I can't think of anything nicer, especially if someone makes a little jug of hollandaise sauce to go with it.’
French hollandaise, feminine of hollandais ‘Dutch’, from Hollande ‘Holland’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.