Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A creamy sauce of melted butter, egg yolks, and lemon juice or vinegar, served especially with fish.
- ‘Dishes include a vegetarian choice, comfort food such as sausages and mash or steak and kidney pie, and a more a la carte selection such as salmon in a hollandaise sauce or chicken chasseur.’
- ‘But there's nothing like a vibrant yellow hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘Eggs Benedict and eggs florentine with hollandaise sauce are also a must, so you'll have to keep going back for more.’
- ‘My companion, Vicky, began with grilled oysters with crispy bacon and hollandaise sauce, which was particularly special.’
- ‘Personally I can't think of anything nicer, especially if someone makes a little jug of hollandaise sauce to go with it.’
- ‘All mains were served with vegetables and potatoes, but we went for broccoli with hollandaise sauce, a moreish combination to say the least.’
- ‘For the main course I had the spinach and mushroom pancake served with hollandaise sauce and cafe salad for €8.75.’
- ‘Or serve with hollandaise sauce; or use it as vegetable with an exotic dip.’
- ‘The rest of the food was okay, nothing extraordinary, but it hit the spot and satisfied you in a way only eggs in hollandaise sauce can.’
- ‘Breakfast ranges from a croissant and three jams, at $3, to the manuka house smoked salmon with sautéed spinach, toasted croissant, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce for $13.’
- ‘While never threatening to reach the same heights as my beef, Vicky's salmon with asparagus and hollandaise sauce got a definite thumbs-up.’
- ‘The all-day breakfast brings together one of the most sublime combinations of ingredients - bacon and eggs, toasted muffins and buttery hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘The dish was anointed with a gentle, green-flecked, herby hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘A waitress in a tartan tie and black waistcoat is timidly asking the busy canapé-constructing chef, ‘What's hollandaise sauce?’’
- ‘A dressing of lemon butter or hollandaise sauce suits it.’
- ‘If you opt for a fish dish for your main meal, diver harvested scallops wrapped in bacon with hollandaise sauce is sure to get the mouth watering.’
- ‘My grilled smoked salmon with hollandaise sauce was unremarkable, but - as with all the dishes - came in commendably industrial quantities.’
- ‘Pregnant women should avoid foods made with raw or partially cooked eggs, like egg nog and hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘I went for the tower of Scottish salmon with spinach purée and a dill hollandaise sauce.’
- ‘The fishcakes erred reassuringly on the enormous side, towering above a small pile of water cress salad and a pool of hollandaise sauce.’
French hollandaise, feminine of hollandais Dutch from Hollande Holland.
hollandaise sauce/ˈhäləndāz ˌsôs/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.