One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Characterized by comprehension of the parts of something as intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to the whole.
- ‘We will all need to get beyond our individual narrow interests and begin to develop a holistic solution that works for everyone.’
- ‘I think where Chaos and Complexity theory are really going, is, a holistic understanding of the universe.’
- ‘If so, a paradigm shift to the holistic approach might be managed.’
- ‘Moreover, holistic method has proved useful in the hard sciences, for example in the geological theory of plate tectonics.’
- ‘These two books bring a holistic approach to the analysis of transport and transport networks.’
- 1.1Medicine Characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical symptoms of a disease.
- ‘Our local strategy is based on a holistic view of health care that integrates primary, intermediate, and secondary care.’
- ‘The following case study demonstrates how she combines all these areas to offer an holistic approach to treatment.’
- ‘These clinics also employ holistic approaches to cancer treatment such as meditation, visualisation, massage and so on.’
- ‘We believe that recovery is a process that heals the whole person therefore, we take a holistic approach to treatment.’
- ‘They offer a holistic approach to cancer care, which helps the whole family, not just the sufferer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.