Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Characterized by an attitude of moral superiority.‘they had quite a critical, holier-than-thou approach’
sanctimonious, self-righteous, complacent, smug, self-satisfied, priggish, pious, pietistic, pharisaicunco guidgoody-goody, preachyreligioseView synonyms
- ‘Not only is he arrogant, by his own admission, but also ignorant (as in rude) and insulting with his self-opinionated, holier-than-thou, stance’
- ‘This is about people and their holier-than-thou attitudes when it comes to picking and choosing their specific little tirades against humanity.’
- ‘We do not want to watch his ‘out of control’ yet suspiciously manipulative antics nor listen to his condescending, holier-than-thou judgments.’
- ‘What's with the holier-than-thou attitude anyway… don't tell me you have not broken a dozen or two traffic rules?’
- ‘I don't want to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude on this, because I have at times been as much at fault as other writers.’
- ‘Rather than face the facts and argue logically with the opposition, you just muscle in and grab the ultimate holier-than-thou slogan which automatically places anyone who dares disagree with you on the side of Satan.’
- ‘Penn has proved to be the most talented of the bunch, although one can tire of his holier-than-thou attitude to script selection.’
- ‘I had not been able to stand his put-downs and holier-than-thou attitude.’
- ‘I don't understand the holier-than-thou attitude from someone who has always seemed very level-headed and calm.’
- ‘And I again insist that to re-establish a strong conception of duty, it is not enough to preach from a holier-than-thou position.’
- ‘Unfortunately this discussion is always led by a holier-than-thou media: by media commentators who actually view themselves as being separate from politics.’
- ‘The group's success led to national media attention, but also provoked animosity, as some accused it of a collective holier-than-thou attitude.’
- ‘This self-righteousness, this bilious holier-than-thou attitude not only amazes me, it saddens me quite a bit too.’
- ‘Don't give me your sanctimonious, holier-than-thou speech about drinking.’
- ‘Slightly sheepish in responding to questions over being a regular church-goer, Tom is keen to avoid being presented as a holier-than-thou type.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.