One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A small dingy place, especially a bar or restaurant.‘even though the gallery was only a hole in the wall, I couldn't have afforded it’as modifier ‘hole-in-the wall bars’
- ‘He asked and made Bruce pull into a small hole in the wall tux shop.’
- ‘The Cherry Lounge was the name of the small, hole in the wall, jazz club that seemed tucked away from the public.’
- ‘The bar was a little hole in the wall sort of place.’
- ‘This bar looked like an absolute hole in the wall, it was a total dive.’
- ‘This hole in the wall served heaping mounds of the food of the day for really cheap prices.’
- ‘This album sounds like something one might here at 2 a.m. in a hole in the wall bar in the middle of Chicago.’
- ‘In the neighborhood, you'll find authentic old pubs, hole in the wall shops selling all manner of strange things and artist enclaves.’
- ‘Years ago, this place was a hole in the wall, modest in every sense but in its offerings of genuine Italian pastries and the real deal when it came to coffee.’
- ‘I found an adorable, hole in the wall thrift store that sold all sorts of things, from clothes to antiques.’
- ‘It's just this little sleepy store, kind of a hole in the wall.’
- ‘What started out as a little corner, little hole in the wall sort of, a little coffee window is now a large restaurant.’
2British An automatic cash dispenser installed in the outside wall of a bank.
- ‘Using a bank card at a hole in the wall makes the elderly vulnerable to mugging.’
- ‘But these days, banks are anyway basically a computer and a hole in the wall, so why do they need staff and fancy branches and head offices?’
- ‘Until a few hours ago, you couldn't even get cash out from the hole in the wall, but apparently that's sorted now.’
- ‘But I realise they all need time on their own and make an excuse that I need cash from the hole in the wall.’
- ‘Did the money actually come out of the hole in the wall and somebody has taken it?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.