One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A small dingy place, especially a bar or restaurant.‘even though the gallery was only a hole in the wall, I couldn't have afforded it’as modifier ‘hole-in-the wall bars’
- ‘I found an adorable, hole in the wall thrift store that sold all sorts of things, from clothes to antiques.’
- ‘The bar was a little hole in the wall sort of place.’
- ‘It's just this little sleepy store, kind of a hole in the wall.’
- ‘In the neighborhood, you'll find authentic old pubs, hole in the wall shops selling all manner of strange things and artist enclaves.’
- ‘This album sounds like something one might here at 2 a.m. in a hole in the wall bar in the middle of Chicago.’
- ‘This bar looked like an absolute hole in the wall, it was a total dive.’
- ‘He asked and made Bruce pull into a small hole in the wall tux shop.’
- ‘The Cherry Lounge was the name of the small, hole in the wall, jazz club that seemed tucked away from the public.’
- ‘What started out as a little corner, little hole in the wall sort of, a little coffee window is now a large restaurant.’
- ‘Years ago, this place was a hole in the wall, modest in every sense but in its offerings of genuine Italian pastries and the real deal when it came to coffee.’
- ‘This hole in the wall served heaping mounds of the food of the day for really cheap prices.’
2British An automatic cash dispenser installed in the outside wall of a bank.
- ‘Did the money actually come out of the hole in the wall and somebody has taken it?’
- ‘Until a few hours ago, you couldn't even get cash out from the hole in the wall, but apparently that's sorted now.’
- ‘But these days, banks are anyway basically a computer and a hole in the wall, so why do they need staff and fancy branches and head offices?’
- ‘Using a bank card at a hole in the wall makes the elderly vulnerable to mugging.’
- ‘But I realise they all need time on their own and make an excuse that I need cash from the hole in the wall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.