One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company created to buy and possess the shares of other companies, which it then controls.
- ‘This holding company provides an excellent platform for them to pursue larger business deals.’
- ‘The airlines will create a holding company that will enable each carrier to retain its own brand and employees and most of its route networks.’
- ‘It is owned by a holding company, which in turn is part-owned by a company registered in Jersey.’
- ‘An option could be to put the stadium in the hands of a York sporting trust or a holding company in which interested parties have a share.’
- ‘I am a director for a holding company of one of New Zealand's larger building companies.’
- ‘The current shareholders will be represented in the holding company.’
- ‘He stated that back at the Shareholder Agreement stage they contemplated a holding company to hold their shares.’
- ‘A joint holding company will be created to ensure the brands keep trading side by side for at least three years.’
- ‘The holding company is privately owned; the only non-family shareholder is the chief executive.’
- ‘The headquarters is a holding company in that it serves as a profit centre, and does not otherwise direct activities at the periphery.’
- ‘The holding company now owns a controlling interest in the bank.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the process of going from state-run banks to a financial holding company may be at least two to three years off.’
- ‘The government intends to divide the Austrian Federal Railways into nine private companies run by a holding company.’
- ‘The question is whether the holding company can use its shares for its own benefit.’
- ‘If sufficient numbers accept, the two firms will form a joint holding company to ensure the brands keep trading side by side for at least three years.’
- ‘Most public companies have a holding company and subsidiaries.’
- ‘It is generally understood to be a diverse group of large industries controlled by a single family usually through a central holding company.’
- ‘A while ago, he decided to establish a holding company to control his myriad interests in grand prix racing.’
- ‘However, to qualify as a business asset, the shareholding must be in a trading company or a holding company in a trading group.’
- ‘Where the parent of a bank is a financial holding company, the task of consolidated supervision is given to the Member State which authorized the bank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.