One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often with negative (of a statement, theory, or line of reasoning) appear to be valid, sound, or reasonable.‘this argument just does not hold water’
be tenable, ring true, bear examination, bear scrutiny, survive investigation, make sense, work out, stand up, hold up, be convincing, be plausible, be verifiable, be provable, be soundView synonyms
- ‘This interpretation holds water, but it doesn't account for the poetry, the hilarity, and the glimmers of hope that underpin the film.’
- ‘As far as I'm concerned my argument completely holds water.’
- ‘I have proved that your statements don't hold water.’
- ‘This subject has come up before - I just don't think it holds water.’
- ‘Historically, the theory of collective guilt does not hold water.’
- ‘The theory that does not hold water with me is that cannabis leads on to harder drugs.’
- ‘A quick examination shows that none of these explanations holds water.’
- ‘The explanation given last night does not, on reflection, appear to hold water.’
- ‘But I don't know enough about the public health statistics to know whether this objection actually holds water.’
- ‘In other words, their excuse does not hold water!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.