One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Succeed in keeping a job or position for a period of time.
occupy, hold, have, be in, fillView synonyms
- ‘Most of them will be people you know, holding down good jobs, good lives, good families.’
- ‘For the previous two seasons Richard has held down the position of the Business Manager.’
- ‘They could receive the payout even while continuing to hold down other jobs.’
- ‘While Patrick had worked as a sheet metal fabricator, he has had difficulty holding down jobs since he left school.’
- ‘Because of her health problems, she had difficulty holding down permanent work.’
- ‘He would lose his temper in a flash and couldn't hold down a job.’
- ‘Judy was also holding down another position - that of being a mother.’
- ‘In the past I haven't held a job down but I've managed to keep this one because I enjoy it and I get support and help.’
- ‘Antony left his girlfriend a while ago, he has a job and he's holding it down.’
- ‘My father came from a family of alcoholics and he himself battled with it but still managed to hold down a job and educate two kids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.