1Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising the Nearctic and Palearctic regions combined. The two continents have been linked intermittently by the Bering land bridge, and the faunas are closely related.
- ‘Moreover, golden eagles have a Holarctic distribution and are not threatened with extinction in North America.’
- ‘In this study, we were interested in updating available information on an uncommon migratory seabird with a Holarctic distribution, the ivory gull.’
- ‘These represent robust wolf-sized dogs thought to have derived from the large northern Holarctic wolf form C. l. lupus.’
- ‘Moreover, most Holarctic migratory ducks that pair seasonally do so during winter away from the breeding grounds.’
- ‘Magpies occur throughout large parts of the Holarctic region.’
- 1.1The Holarctic region.
Late 19th century: from holo- whole + Arctic.