One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sweet, spicy, dark red sauce made from soybeans, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and various spices, widely used in southern Chinese cooking.
- ‘Add the snap peas, broth, oranges, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and green onions.’
- ‘For here there is sushi, there is crispy duck with hoisin sauce, there is dim sum, pad thai, Szechwan chicken, Shanghai snapper, vegetable curry and soft-shell crab with Mexican chilli.’
- ‘Look for Chinese rice wine and hoisin or char sui sauce in a well-stocked supermarket or Asian market.’
- ‘Add mandarin slices, bell pepper and hoisin sauce and bring to a simmer.’
- ‘Combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hoisin, sugar, vinegar, and wine/sherry in a small bowl, cover it, and set it aside.’
- ‘Thai Rice Noodles is dressed in coconut hoisin sauce and garlic chili paste.’
- ‘In a small bowl, mix hoisin sauce and water until well blended.’
- ‘The Szechuan style pork was served with crispy won ton strips, which is an interesting idea, but the flavour was one-dimensional and tasted strongly of hoisin.’
- ‘Reduce the heat to low and add the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, vinegar and water.’
- ‘Add the reserved stock, the two tablespoons of soy sauce, the hoisin sauce and the sugar and leave to simmer until reduced and well flavoured.’
- ‘It's got soy and hoisin sauce - enough salty ingredients for any self-respecting cabbage salad.’
- ‘Experiment adding a tablespoon of hoisin sauce, chopped garlic, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of five spice powder for a more Chinese barbecue flavour.’
- ‘Whole-wheat spaghetti has a springy texture and a hearty flavor that works well with a glaze of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice.’
- ‘It tasted like a mixture of chocolate, hoisin sauce and fruit jelly sweets.’
- ‘It was bland but well worth the price and easily seasoned to taste with some hoisin sauce, hot red pepper paste and Sriracha hot chili sauce, which are on every table.’
- ‘Stir-fry cooked greens in peanut oil, add ginger, chili peppers, and/or hoisin sauce.’
- ‘Behind that is a jar of hoisin sauce that we got when we had Chinese dumplings.’
- ‘A wide range of spicy sauces like chilly bean sauce, hoisin sauce and garlic oyster sauce are a must with the food and accompaniments like steamed/fried rice and mixed hakka noodles.’
- ‘Fortunately, there's soya and hoisin on the table if you need to adjust flavourings.’
- ‘If you're shopping at a supermarket, buy roast chicken or pork tenderloin and serve the meats sliced, with hoisin sauce and green onions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.