One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A child's toy consisting of a stick with a model of a horse's head at one end.
- ‘In the contest, they must race 100 metres with a hobby horse while hopping over jumps.’
- ‘This painting of a child with a hobby horse dates from 1836’
- ‘Her unicorn hobby horse was a very special gift from Daddy.’
- 1.1 A rocking horse.
- ‘One shot of a young boy claiming to be an expert horseman shows a toddler rocking on a hobby horse.’
- ‘A drawing of King William at the top of this broadsheet, rocking on a wooden hobby horse, might have caused some offense in loyalist circles.’
- ‘He held her hand and rocked it back and forth like a child on a hobby horse.’
- 1.2 A model of a horse or a horse's head, typically of wicker, used in morris dancing or pantomime.
- ‘Morris men, lords and ladies and even Hobnob the hobby horse were to be found mingling among the stalls.’
- ‘The Peace Police on their hobby horses added humour and colour to the events.’
- ‘The vibrant costumes and scenery gave bright splashes of cartoonish colour to the scenes and the props, such as hobby horses with nodding heads, were superb.’
2A preoccupation or favorite topic.‘one of her favorite hobbyhorses was about how people had to care for “the child inside.”’
obsession, fixation, idée fixe, ruling passion, consuming passion, mania, compulsion, fetish, preoccupation, hobby horseView synonyms
- ‘For those who don't know me, free speech is my biggest hobby horse.’
- ‘The other omitted item, and I admit this is a bit of a personal hobby horse of mine, is that there is no mention of the Little Ice Age, though consequences for it abounding in these pages.’
- ‘‘The whole business of communicating with families from sea has been a hobby horse of mine for a number of years, and we had fallen quite a long way behind people's expectation,’ he said.’
- ‘This brings me back to my old hobby horse and the stupid traffic system inflicted on the residents of Spelthorne.’
- ‘Indeed, when the leak story broke, he got right back on his favorite hobby horse and began railing against unauthorized leaks as if this never happened.’
- ‘Yes, it's my old hobby horse - the Quality of Life.’
- ‘And you asked about collaboration among researchers; that's actually a hobby horse of yours, isn't it?’
- ‘It deals with one of my favourite hobby horses, Complexity Theory.’
- ‘A lot of green organisations have adopted recycling as their hobby horse despite the fact that many people have suggested that recycling involves a lot of energy to effect.’
- ‘Warning the government to be prudent, and to remain prudent, may sound like my favourite hobby horse, - and it is, but there are sound reasons why I always carry on about not overshooting the main budget.’
- ‘It is a focus on the young which has been a very strong hobby horse of mine for my entire career.’
- ‘One of my little hobby horses is American cultural imperialism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.