Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small farm operated for pleasure or supplemental income rather than for primary income.
- ‘The magnitude of the voluntary subsidy by small-scale operators to their hobby farms now swamps the profit performance of larger farms.’
- ‘Subdivisions and hobby farms are sprouting up across the land, where property values now range from $3,000 to $24,000 per acre.’
- ‘As a retirement "hobby" he and Claire developed an 18 acre hobby farm growing kiwifruit in the Nelson area.’
- ‘But from his perspective, the hobby farm in a remote, rural context was an oasis, not a prison.’
- ‘The place had been a hobby farm owned by his wealthy stepfather who was now very ill.’
- ‘Property agents in New South Wales are reporting a deluge of capital city investors buying traditional country blocks and not just hobby farms.’
- ‘Despite growth in farm size and an increase in the number of smaller hobby farms, the total acreage in farming has declined as urban sprawl claims farmland.’
- ‘There are people with hobby farms, there are people with bush blocks.’
- ‘Melanie Lansing Winters (Susan Sarandon) lives a picturesque existence on an expansive hobby farm with her crotchety professor husband David (Christopher Plummer).’
- ‘"We're seeing more growth in the hobby farms with small animals, horses and pets."’
- ‘Both of his grandfathers were Wisconsin dairy farmers, and he grew up on a small "hobby farm" in southern Illinois.’
- ‘A population of about 6,000 live in detached houses on large urban blocks or on five acre hobby farms / market gardens.’
- ‘He is married with three children and lives on a hobby farm near Dubbo with Albert the contented Murray Grey bull.’
- ‘In September 1992 the defendant sold his and bought a 25-acre hobby farm.’
- ‘Having grown up on a small hobby farm in northern New York, I have a lot of love for animals.’
- ‘It was a hobby farm, whose owner was mostly concerned with his rosebushes.’
- ‘One group makes up the majority of farm numbers, known as hobby farms.’
- ‘To her surprise, there was interest in dividing the land into 60-acre parcels and selling it for hobby farms.’
- ‘I call it my hobby farm.’
- ‘He also loved his hobby farm, which he built with his own hands and where he raised horses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.