One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large stocky grayish-brown marmot with a whistling call, found in the mountains of northwestern North America.
Marmota caligata, family SciuridaeAlso called whistler
- ‘The hoary marmot is found in Alaska south to Washington, northern Oregon and most of Montana and parts of Idaho.’
- ‘Under ordinary circumstances hoary marmots are usually seen on the top of boulder piles.’
- ‘The shrill whistle of the hoary marmot is a familiar sound to Alaskans, especially to hikers with dogs.’
- ‘Its flesh can also be eaten: however, no hunting season is provided for hoary marmots in Alaska.’
- ‘Presumably it (the only species of mammal unique to the island) arose from hoary marmots of the mainland that reached what is now Vancouver Island during the second last glaciation.’
- ‘Little is known about the actual mating behavior of hoary marmots because most matings occur inside burrows.’
- ‘The name Whistler was used by these early settlers because of the shrill whistling sound made by the western hoary marmots who live among the rocks.’
- ‘During summer you'll find elk feeding in open meadows, mule deer trying to keep cool on wind swept ridges and hoary marmots sunning themselves on rocky outcroppings.’
- ‘Named for the mantle of white fur on its shoulders and back, the hoary marmot lives throughout the western mountains of North America.’
- ‘There are at least four major kinds - those are hoary marmots you see on the banks of the Spokane River - and they're closely related to prairie dogs, groundhogs and chipmunks.’
- ‘The hoary marmot, so called because of the mantle of white fur which covers his shoulders and back, is well known to hikers in the western mountains of North America.’
- ‘The alarm call of both hoary marmot and the woodchuck is a loud whistle.’
- ‘If there is limited food, hoary marmots may live in groups of one adult male and female and their young.’
- ‘Today hoary marmots are protected from being hunted in the Yukon, except by First Nations people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.