One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grayish-white crystalline deposit of frozen water vapor formed in clear still weather on vegetation, fences, etc.
frost, ground frost, rime, rime frost, verglasView synonyms
- ‘There was a thick hoar frost on the planks of the bench.’
- ‘Their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun.’
- ‘And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.’
- ‘In December, when the chill had really taken hold there were a few days of spectacular hoar frost.’
- ‘This would have resulted in more melt or hoar frost layers (cloudy bands), which is one of the variables used for annual layer determinations.’
- ‘And if you want a casing made out of etiolated Saskatchewan hoar frost you can probably get that too.’
- ‘It is actually dew if it forms at temperatures above freezing, but if it forms below freezing it is hoar frost.’
- ‘They have a long flowering season and if you leave them on through winter, the dead flowerheads look beautiful with a covering of hoar frost.’
- ‘To his amazement, they would ‘take a bath every morning even when the hoar frost was flying thick in the air.’’
- ‘Seely states that surface hoar frost forms only during the summer due to sunshine and fog.’
- ‘He opens his feature on the shoreline of the savage Barents Sea as a group of 30 men trudge up a snow-covered dune, eyebrows laced with hoar frost.’
- ‘Willow groves coated in hoar frost sparkle like jewels in the winter sunshine.’
- ‘Manchester weathermen said a hoar frost may have been responsible for Metrolink's problems.’
- ‘The trees, covered in the thick hoar frost of morning, reached their leafless branches up, like hands stretching towards the heavens.’
- ‘The sun rises in a sky of liquid gold which as it touches the fields and hedges causes the hoar frost to gleam and sparkle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.