One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express reflection or hesitation.‘hmm, interesting idea’‘hmm, well I should probably get going’
- ‘Hmm, tough call.’
- ‘Hmm, let's see.’
- ‘Hmm, I wonder why they didn't stick with that name?’
- ‘Hmm, had I known this before, I might have taken it as an omen.’
- ‘Hmm ... how to start?’
- ‘A small crease appears on his smooth forehead. 'Hmm'.’
- ‘I thought, "hmm, I'm not sure I'm cut out for this."’
- ‘Hmm, I wonder which one I prefer?’
- ‘Hmm, they look pretty nice, I suppose.’
- ‘Hmm, that's a good question.’
- ‘Hmm, I think you're being a bit mean.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.