Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular or plural A rash of round, red welts on the skin that itch intensely, sometimes with dangerous swelling, caused by an allergic reaction, typically to specific foods.Also called urticaria or nettlerash
- ‘The itchy red welts of hives on the surface of the skin are usually an allergic reaction to food or medicine.’
- ‘Your doctor might advise you to take over-the-counter antihistamines or anti-itching lotions for a rash, hives and itching.’
- ‘Symptoms may include watery eyes, wheezing, hives, rash, and even life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.’
- ‘Work-related symptoms often were reported among latex positive participants and included hives, eye symptoms, and wheezing.’
- ‘The second CRNA cannot wear a stethoscope around her neck because its rubber tubing causes her skin to break out in hives.’
- ‘Allergic reactions can cause swelling, hives, and difficulty breathing.’
- ‘It often happens at the same time as hives or urticaria, which are itchy swellings on the surface of the skin.’
- ‘Nettle rash (also known as hives or urticaria) is characterised by a lumpy, itchy rash with red spots.’
- ‘Stress worsens many skin conditions - such as psoriasis, eczema, hives and acne - and can be a trigger for asthma attacks.’
- ‘Doctors may also refer to it as cold-induced hives (urticaria).’
- ‘Cursed with allergies in his first years, Koby often erupted in hives and eczema.’
- ‘They could get a rash, hives, or have problems breathing.’
- ‘I break out in hives when I'm in the sun for more than 10 minutes.’
- ‘Too many people had experienced hives, diarrhea or life-threatening asthma attacks when exposed to these chemicals.’
- ‘If you're extremely sensitive, you might break out in hives and your eyes or lips may swell severely.’
- ‘Some skin conditions, including eczema, scabies and hives, can cause itching.’
- ‘Allergic reactions to medications or foods can cause acute hives or angioedema.’
- ‘But just one pill made me itch and break out in hives.’
- ‘Allergic symptoms could include rash, hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.’
- ‘For a severe attack of hives or angioedema, you may need an emergency injection of adrenaline and a trip to the emergency room.’
Early 16th century (originally Scots, denoting various conditions causing a rash, especially in children): of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.