Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is paid to kill someone, especially for a criminal or political organization.
- ‘The police believe Gilbank was killed by a professional hit man.’
- ‘How I wished for that million from Shorty in order to hire a hit man to kill the annoying guy who said that.’
- ‘Each chapter deals with a particular aspect of crime, such as highwaymen or hit men, drugs, prisons, and so forth.’
- ‘The reputed leader of the Russian drug trade, a man named Kostanon, was murdered by a Russian hit man on Soi 2.’
- ‘Anybody that lives in this cold city can tell you that ‘gang-land’ means mafia; Italian mob, hit men, wise guys, and Marlin Brando.’
- ‘There are hit men, murderers, philanderers, thieves, betrayers, and other assorted riff-raff.’
- ‘You don't absolve yourself of murder by hiring a hit man.’
- ‘A short time later Hooks is murdered by a Triad hit man.’
- ‘This does not seem enough to prompt the queen to hire a hit man to kill him.’
- ‘One's alleged to have hired down a police informer as a hit man, and they give him bail.’
- ‘I planned on hiring a hit man to kill Maki after I receive my payment.’
- ‘The indictment alleges that Blake attempted to hire several hit men to kill his wife, Bonny Bakley, and when that failed, killed her himself.’
- ‘I'll snap his neck if you don't tell me why you are trying to kill us by sending hit men after us.’
- ‘Why did Justice help defend a hit man in California who killed a man while in the witness protection program?’
- ‘A professional hit man is killing the team one by one.’
- ‘When Giba and Ivan have their business partner murdered, the hit man proves far more difficult to remove from their lives.’
- ‘People in the criminal community began to believe that I was a hit man, and then I began to be solicited for murders.’
- ‘Then he falsified an email, from an anonymous person, informing him that hit men killed his family.’
- ‘But her world turned upside down when she discovered her husband's mistress had hired a hit man to kill her.’
- ‘Rippner reveals himself as a hit man assigned to kill the Head of Homeland Security in his hotel suite.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.