Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for Nazi salute
- ‘Some German fans have greeted their Polish visitors with Hitler salutes.’
- ‘Little children know and give the Hitler salute.’
- ‘Heil Hitler salutes they could do to perfection, but their attempts to imitate the goosestep failed utterly.’
- ‘His book Mein Kampf remains banned in Germany, where the use of Nazi symbols and the Hitler salute are punishable crimes.’
- ‘Well, check out these leaked pics of him and his mates doing their Heil Hitler salutes.’
- ‘A man who taught his dog to raise its right paw in a Hitler salute will not be prosecuted for the pet's trick.’
- ‘Last year he allegedly gave the stiff-arm Hitler salute to a Hanover airport security guard during an argument.’
- ‘In Germany itself the authorities are politely asking the local neo-Nazis not to march around giving Hitler salutes during the tournament.’
- ‘Those who made a stand did so indirectly, like the physicist who always carried parcels under his arm so as to avoid having to give the Hitler salute.’
- ‘His discussion of the period revolves around the photo of the English team giving the Hitler salute before their 1938 match against Germany in Berlin.’
- ‘I guess he isn't actually doing a Hitler salute in this photo, but he still shares the frame with a guy who is.’
- ‘My arm sprang out like a Hitler salute as I pointed across the water to the Isle of Iona.’
- ‘In 1938 a young English aristocrat won the German Grand Prix - and gave a Hitler salute on the podium.’
- ‘The employee then said he made a gesture with his arm which he took to be the Hitler salute.’
- ‘The door opened; two constables entered and marched up to the table, gave the Heil Hitler salute, did a smart about turn, and saw us.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.