One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In various directions, especially in a disorganized way.‘the entire household ran hither and thither’
in various places, in different places, hither and thither, at randomfrom place to place, around, about, to and fro, hither and thither, back and forth, in all directions, from pillar to postView synonyms
- ‘The plot twists hither and yon, but there isn't the smallest real tension hanging on this stylised arrangement.’
- ‘Second, I've been out just about every day since the sales started coming in, posting items off hither and yon.’
- ‘Dirty clothes were strewn hither and yon, along with crumpled paper balls.’
- ‘I have literally dozens of the things scattered hither and yon on the bench but the one I need never seems to be there.’
- ‘They had been aimlessly shining their torches hither and yon for an hour, when Manny unleashed his galling swan song.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.