One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an athlete) experience a sudden loss of energy in a long race.
- ‘I never thought I would get anywhere near the Olympic qualifying time and my biggest fear was hitting the wall.’
- ‘Moehler seems to be hitting the wall around the 100-pitch mark, a trend that's worrisome in light of shoulder soreness he has experienced.’
- ‘Szczerbiak seemed to hit the wall at midseason, but he rebounded well to finish strong.’
- ‘The first couple of games I felt pretty good, but by the third game I pretty much hit the wall.’
- ‘Italy have a rare moment of pressure - but Panucci hits the wall for about the third time today.’
- ‘He hit the wall, and the rest of the team finally recognized its responsibility.’
- ‘Waltrip hit the wall, slid down the track and eventually flipped over in the infield.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.