One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A team of assassins.
- ‘It has ordered CIA hit squads to assassinate a foreign head of state.’
- ‘He had hit squads going all over the place and he also arrested another former military president.’
- ‘The CIA provided lists of suspected communists for Ba'ath Party hit squads, who liquidated at least 800 people.’
- ‘And for as long as there have been informers, there have been hit squads and assassins ready to liquidate them.’
- ‘The agency, he said, had gone as far as establishing hit squads to carry out the assassination when the opportunity arose.’
- ‘But if it's a team, a hit squad, there will be others - there probably has been already.’
- ‘Informants of the US police are willing to testify that Rizzuto was part of a hit squad that took down three Mafia heads in Montreal.’
- ‘Mrs. Bhutto was run out of office in 1996 on charges of corruption, economic incompetence and the sanctioning of police hit squads.’
- ‘‘It's a hangover from being followed everywhere by hit squads,’ he says.’
- ‘He was linked to a hit squad that murdered Iraqi dissenters in Europe.’
- ‘For a 13 year-old, the kid has more gumption than most counter-terrorist hit squads.’
- ‘The targeting was far from professional and many of the victims of these government - backed hit squads were innocent civilians.’
- ‘This makes them an even softer target for the hit squads.’
- ‘And if you don't kill us he will have a hit squad go after your family and there is no way we are going to let you kill us.’
- ‘It's that freedom of speech thing I'm always going on about in my brownshirt hit squad way.’
- ‘The army claims that its hit squads only operate behind enemy lines but the manner in which those arrested operated raises doubts.’
- ‘Many of the victims of the Klan hit squads were abducted at gunpoint, and later killed.’
- ‘UK businesses that fail to adhere to data protection laws face criminal prosecution following the creation of a new hit squad.’
- ‘The unit will also be able to send hit squads into ‘failing’ police stations.’
- ‘It promoted a range of activities, including the direct action methods of the hit squads that targeted the police, the NCB and scabs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.