Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Compatibility between the tissues of different individuals, so that one accepts a graft from the other without having an immune reaction.
- ‘Blood and tissue typing and histocompatibility tests must be done in advance.’
- ‘Major histocompatibility complex genes are known to influence the immune functions.’
- ‘Additionally, the grafts also contain minor histocompatibility antigens, which will elicit a rather slow immune response.’
- ‘Parabiotic mice have been reported to produce stable blood chimerism across major histocompatibility barriers.’
- ‘However, there are many minor histocompatibility antigens that cannot currently be matched.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.