Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A congenital condition in which the rectum and part of the colon fail to develop a normal system of nerves, and consequently feces accumulate in the colon following birth.
- ‘Anorectal manometry is indicated to demonstrate the rectoanal inhibitory reflex and to rule out Hirschsprung's disease.’
- ‘Rarely, vomiting is caused by disordered motility states, the most common of which is Hirschsprung's disease.’
- ‘Children with an organic cause for constipation, such as Hirschsprung's disease, were excluded.’
- ‘The most common associated conditions include Hirschsprung's disease and imperforate anus.’
- ‘In children younger than one year of age, the possibility of Hirschsprung's disease must be considered.’
Early 20th century: named after Harald Hirschprung (1830–1916), Danish pediatrician.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.