Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- British term for installment plan
instalment plan, instalment-payment plan, hp, credit, finance, instalments, deferred payment, easy termsinstalment buyingthe never-neverView synonyms
- ‘Other forms of debt for asset purchases, such as hire purchase and leasing, tend to be difficult for start-up businesses.’
- ‘The easy availability of loans, attractive hire-purchase schemes, and credit card facility enable people to translate their desires into demand.’
- ‘But many aren't, and often assume - wrongly - that there is little they can do about their credit card and hire purchase agreements.’
- ‘People have very high levels of mortgages, hire purchase payments, credit card payments, and debts of all kinds.’
- ‘Its sophisticated financial products include hire purchase, leasing, insurance brokerage as well as insurance premium financing.’
- ‘Classes would also provide drug education and advice on social security benefits, mortgages, financial services and hire purchase.’
- ‘The first expensive consumer durable and symbol of respectability, bought on hire purchase, was the piano.’
- ‘At the same time, credit card companies and hire purchase outfits are queuing up to let us spend money we don't have yet.’
- ‘I was actually employed by my father as a radio and TV salesman and hire purchase clerk.’
- ‘Taking out an unsecured personal loan or hire purchase are the two traditional ways of funding a new car purchase.’
- ‘The hire purchase allows a company to build assets without tying up a huge amount of capital money that could be used to grow the business.’
- ‘Interestingly, the majority of new cars are financed by car dealers, where almost all financing is through hire purchase agreements.’
- ‘The four most popular options include hire purchase, car loan, leasing and personal contracts.’
- ‘This represents Britain's credit card, hire purchase and loan companies, which between them control about one third of British consumer debt.’
- ‘Then make a list of all you owe, like mortgages, hire purchase agreements, loans or credit.’
- ‘Namfisa is responsible for the supervision of micro-lenders, hire purchase outlets and leasing concerns under the Usury Act.’
- ‘There are four main finance deal options - the unsecured car loan, hire purchase, leasing and the personal contract purchase.’
- ‘Many of these people were talked into getting things on hire purchase.’
- ‘A credit search is carried out every time you apply for an item such as a mortgage, car loan or hire purchase agreement.’
- ‘This is typically offered when a consumer borrows: be it mortgage, a personal or car loan, hire purchase agreement or credit card.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.