One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mythical creature with the body of a horse and the wings and head of an eagle, born of the union of a male griffin and a filly.
- ‘Unlike chimeras or hippogriffs, dragons were much stronger, fiercer, and generally harder to kill.’
- ‘I'll take a shower, change, throw these out, and we'll get my hippogriff.’
- ‘The hero, Roger, is a knight who rides a mythical animal, a hippogriff (a winged horse that has talons and the beak of a hawk).’
- ‘He cannot perform spells, but his magic power is so great that we can feed from it and defeat the hippogriffs.’
- ‘The coffin shattered into a million pieces while the hind legs and the wings of the hippogriff vaporized.’
- ‘From it, blown green glass dolphins supported a smaller basin from which sprang bizarre blown-glass hippogriffs.’
- ‘Despite an advantage in source material, Cuaron still makes his talent evident, and, like Harry riding bareback on the hippogriff, soars.’
- ‘She marveled the effortless beating of the hippogriff's wings, the speed at which the water passed under them.’
- ‘Dad says I can have the hippogriff's head.’
- ‘She only had a sarcastic and cynical servant, and a touchy hippogriff.’
- ‘When flying directly over Fyynatis on the back of a hippogriff, you may catch a glimpse of fire within its depths.’
- ‘Gronauer led them to five empty stalls, right next to each other, and situated the hippogriffs in their new home.’
- ‘The hippogriff was actually, therefore, only one quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold.’
- ‘As a griffin/centaur, the hippogriff, too, suggests Christ's divine conquest of the passions, as evidenced by his donkey ride into Jerusalem.’
- ‘He then, mounted on the hippogriff, rescues Angelica from the Orc.’
- ‘The hippogriff threw her back against the rock.’
- ‘Nor were there airplanes - hippogriffs were the only method of aerial transportation.’
Mid 17th century: from French hippogriffe, from Italian ippogrifo, from Greek hippos ‘horse’ + Italian grifo ‘griffin’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.