One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oath stating the obligations and proper conduct of doctors, formerly taken by those beginning medical practice. Parts of the oath are still used in most medical schools.
- ‘Have the Hippocratic oath or the Ten Commandments been validated?’
- ‘Of all the institutes that swear oaths, only three use the classic Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘This may sound odd if your vision of medical ethics is the application to medicine of the Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘‘Do no harm,’ the Hippocratic oath tells doctors.’
- ‘I shook hands with the dean, swore the Hippocratic oath, signed up with the Medical Defence Union, and went to a party.’
- ‘So I think that was the first - it's like the Hippocratic oath with doctors: First, do no harm.’
- ‘It is embodied in the Hippocratic oath and in the ethical codes of virtually all health-related professions.’
- ‘‘You will treat me like any other patient who walks through that door, as per your Hippocratic oath.’’
- ‘The very Hippocratic oath contains a clause speaking out against abortion.’
- ‘He remained out of loyalty to his Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘That is the central imperative of the Hippocratic oath, traditionally taken by doctors across the Western world.’
- ‘I never expected to be treated like this and I just think that a doctor who takes the Hippocratic oath has to act in his patients' best interests.’
- ‘The best known of these were enshrined in the Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘I cannot believe that a surgeon who performs an operation with which he or she is not happy is fulfilling the Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘The best known written code for practitioners, drawn up by insiders, is the Hippocratic oath.’
- ‘It is perhaps a strange quirk of the Hippocratic oath that doctors can judge what is in our best interests.’
- ‘First, it is often mistakenly thought to be part of the Hippocratic oath, an assertion that I see made regularly in the lay press.’
- ‘He also wrote an alternative Hippocratic oath, now recited by Tufts and other graduates.’
- ‘Oh, and the beauty is that according to the Hippocratic oath I should've left you the samples alone and let myself die.’
- ‘But there should also be a community organizers' version of the Hippocratic oath: ‘First, do no harm.’’
Mid 18th century: Hippocratic from medieval Latin Hippocraticus ‘relating to Hippocrates’ (see Hippocrates).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.