One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The elongated ridges on the floor of each lateral ventricle of the brain, thought to be the center of emotion, memory, and the autonomic nervous system.
- ‘The hippocampus area in the frontal lobes, the sort of parietal temporal lobes and the frontal lobes.’
- ‘We performed region of interest analysis in two focal brain areas: the hippocampus and the temporal lobes.’
- ‘Estrogen appears to enhance memory by increasing the number of synapses between nerve cells in the hippocampus.’
- ‘Added estrogen also upped the signaling capacity of nerve cells in the hippocampus, the brain's memory region.’
- ‘In five hours, the neurosurgeons removed the remaining tumour, my right hippocampus, and right temporal lobe.’
Late16th century (denoting a sea horse): via Latin from Greek hippokampos, from hippos ‘horse’ + kampos ‘sea monster’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.