One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roof with the ends inclined, as well as the sides.
- ‘The hip roof with four chimneys, for example, duplicates the roof of Charles Symonds's house.’
- ‘There were gable roofs, modified Dutch hips and even pagoda-style curved hip roofs.’
- ‘Like Feature 7 at the Vaughn Branch site, it contained a central post, reflecting a gable or hip roof construction.’
- ‘A large red hip roof barn will be developed into a central gathering place for recreation, food and drinks.’
- ‘The present hip roofs did not belong there, and the new proposals are further detrimental to the area's appearance.’
- ‘The hip roof is punctuated with four tall chimneys, and at the base of the elaborate cornice is a finely carved rope molding.’
- ‘The apartment building was extensively rebuilt in 1994/95 and the existing hipped roof was replaced by a Mansard type roof to provide an additional floor.’
- ‘It is a two-story square colonial with a double hip roof.’
- ‘With its adobe walls and Dutch hip roof, the home borrows from both Sonoran and Territorial styles.’
- ‘In the spirit of the colonial revival, they replaced the Victorian era mansard roof with a hip roof with dormers.’
- ‘The centre will receive a new hipped roof to replace the sixties style roof, and the different floor levels inside will be brought onto one level so that disabled access will be easier and the premises will be wheelchair friendly.’
- ‘It may be that the change in form and lack of central posts reflect a shift from a hip roof with interior roof supports to a gable roof with a large central beam support.’
- ‘It was often built from timber, pisé, wattle-and-daub, slab, or other local materials, rather than brick or stone, and with a hipped roof of thatch or shingle.’
- ‘Principal Planning Officer Martin Sellens said an ideal resolution for both sides was to have a hipped roof on the end of the flats block overlooking existing properties.’
- ‘Like most of their Mississippian predecessors, they were of wall-trench construction and are interpreted as having had gable or hip roofs.’
- ‘All that is then missing is the end opposite the hip roof.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.