One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sports injury in which the point of the hip is deeply bruised and painful.
- ‘After Torraye Bragg sustained a hip pointer, Murphy commented on the injury by saying, ‘They hurt.’’
- ‘For strains and hip pointers, the immediate aim is to reduce any swelling or internal bleeding.’
- ‘In early March, he suffered a left hip pointer while diving for a loose ball in Boston.’
- ‘Orton moved gingerly after getting a hip pointer in the first quarter.’
- ‘Brady left Sunday's game in the first half with a hip pointer.’
- ‘What's more, Thomas missed the second half of the contest with a hip pointer.’
- ‘There was a lingering Achilles' injury, a hip pointer and a torn tendon in Mourning's right pinkie finger.’
- ‘It frustrated LB Rob Fredrickson to miss a recent game because of a hip pointer, and it didn't do much good for the team.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.