Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sports injury in which the point of the hip is deeply bruised and painful.
- ‘After Torraye Bragg sustained a hip pointer, Murphy commented on the injury by saying, ‘They hurt.’’
- ‘What's more, Thomas missed the second half of the contest with a hip pointer.’
- ‘For strains and hip pointers, the immediate aim is to reduce any swelling or internal bleeding.’
- ‘There was a lingering Achilles' injury, a hip pointer and a torn tendon in Mourning's right pinkie finger.’
- ‘It frustrated LB Rob Fredrickson to miss a recent game because of a hip pointer, and it didn't do much good for the team.’
- ‘In early March, he suffered a left hip pointer while diving for a loose ball in Boston.’
- ‘Orton moved gingerly after getting a hip pointer in the first quarter.’
- ‘Brady left Sunday's game in the first half with a hip pointer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.