One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sports injury in which the point of the hip is deeply bruised and painful.
- ‘It frustrated LB Rob Fredrickson to miss a recent game because of a hip pointer, and it didn't do much good for the team.’
- ‘Orton moved gingerly after getting a hip pointer in the first quarter.’
- ‘In early March, he suffered a left hip pointer while diving for a loose ball in Boston.’
- ‘There was a lingering Achilles' injury, a hip pointer and a torn tendon in Mourning's right pinkie finger.’
- ‘After Torraye Bragg sustained a hip pointer, Murphy commented on the injury by saying, ‘They hurt.’’
- ‘Brady left Sunday's game in the first half with a hip pointer.’
- ‘What's more, Thomas missed the second half of the contest with a hip pointer.’
- ‘For strains and hip pointers, the immediate aim is to reduce any swelling or internal bleeding.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.