One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pocket in the back of a pair of pants.
- ‘She lifted her chin defiantly, shoving her hands into the hip pockets of her jeans.’
- ‘John searched his left hip pocket, and pulled out a small card.’
- ‘‘So what's your master plan ’, Steve asked, pulling out a cleaning cloth from his hip pocket, and began to clean the lens on the scope.’
- ‘We'll hurt them at the hip pocket because no-one will see their ads!’
- ‘A lizard ran up his pants but he captured it right next to his hip pocket.’
- ‘Reaching the others, he dug into his hip pocket.’
- ‘With trousers and skirts the label is commonly on the waistband and/or the hip pockets.’
- ‘But the day is coming when the card will be linked to the Air Force member in more ways than just carried in the hip pocket.’
- ‘‘Okay, that's it,’ Jeremiah said, stepping back and wiping his hands on a rag he had tucked in the hip pocket of his jeans.’
- ‘It's nice to be in each other's hip pockets all the way through, instead of just walking past each other amidst a cast of thousands.’
- ‘Never has the hip pocket nerve twitched so violently.’
- ‘Ellie sat on a nearby treestump, and from her hip pocket removed a swiped flask of blue wine from the Aluminum Falcon.’
- ‘Pulling his watch out of his hip pocket, he glanced at it.’
- ‘She stood up to leave, but felt Normrak grab her hip pocket, holding her there and he refused to release her.’
- ‘He stuffed Marisa's bikini top into his hip pocket and continued forward.’
- ‘Selfish by nature, nothing makes people change their ways like hitting their hip pockets with fines, charges and financial incentives.’
- ‘As the cars rocketed out of turn 4 Schroeder brought the field to the green and down into turn 1 with George right on his hip pocket.’
- ‘He walked in the house one evening and pulled it from his hip pocket saying, ‘Do you want this?’’
- ‘Best of all, the Hipster PDA fits into your hip pocket and costs practically nothing to purchase and maintain.’
- ‘Even in summer, stuff lightweight gloves into a hip pocket.’
in someone's hip pocket
Completely under someone's control.
- ‘Your Father Adrian has them in his hip pocket.’
- ‘Every defense attorney has it in their hip pocket, and they're using it.’
- ‘He has a colossal campaign war chest, the conservative media in his hip pocket, and the rock solid backing of evangelicals.’
- ‘If you want to get someone in your hip pocket, the way to do it is to induce a tremendous amount of anxiety and become the agent who relieves that sense of anxiety.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.