One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ball-and-socket joint connecting a leg to the trunk of the body, in which the head of the thigh bone fits into the socket of the ilium.
- ‘It most often affects the head of the thighbone, part of the hip joint.’
- ‘The acetabulum contains the socket portion of the hip joint and must be reshaped to restore its original center.’
- ‘Osteoarthritis most commonly involves the spine, the knee joints and the hip joints.’
- ‘And you need to line up various parts of your body; your hip joint has to be lined up over your ankle joint.’
- ‘The ball and the socket join to form the new hip joint.’
- ‘Osteotomy may be performed if significant malalignment of the knee or hip joints is present.’
- ‘Cracking sound from my knees, hip joints, elbows, and wrists is frequent.’
- ‘Every running stride places about three times the weight of your body on your foot, ankle, knee and hip joints.’
- ‘These branches supply the pectineus, the hip joint, and, by rejoining the obturator, the adductor muscles.’
- ‘Ten to 20 percent of all arthritic knee and hip joints will need to be replaced.’
- ‘The centre of mass of the body is at the hip joints.’
- ‘The articulation between the head of the femur and the acetabulum form the hip joint.’
- ‘To compensate the hip joint and especially the knee has to modify its movement to maintain stability and progression during walking.’
- ‘The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint because the spherical head of the femur moves inside the cup-shaped acetabulum.’
- ‘Its anterior branch supplies sensation to the hip joint and the mid to proximal medial thigh.’
- ‘Also, the ligaments of the hip joint may be stretched and loose.’
- ‘Ankle, knee and hip joints must be coordinated in this exercise, which develops a functional movement pattern and trains the muscles.’
- ‘Unlike walking, which is still necessary every day, cycling seems to suit my ankle, knee and hip joints very much better.’
- ‘Stability of the right sacroiliac and hip joints was preserved.’
- ‘The muscles of the hip joint execute hip-joint flexion at the beginning of the vertical-bench bent-leg raise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.