Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A style of popular music of US black and Hispanic origin, featuring rap with an electronic backing.
- ‘First, it is a new medium that has arrived in the past decade or so, like web art or hip-hop music.’
- ‘If you're only going to buy one hip-hop album this year, make it this one.’
- ‘We have got loads more Harmonic 33 hip-hop instrumentals planned for this year also.’
- ‘Dark, observant hip-hop meets geezer Garage on the harsh and honest streets.’
- ‘Most get shined by both jazz and hip-hop heads and end up on the compost heap.’
- ‘Lil Kim may claim to be the Queen Bee, but she has to work hard to keep up with her hip-hop sistas.’
- ‘This Government is paying for hip-hop trips and spending millions of dollars on the arts.’
- ‘We would also put on gigs, at the Boardwalk mostly as a sort of hip-hop circus.’
- ‘The use of hip-hop beats and structure characterises the majority of the compositions here.’
- ‘They played hip-hop music and everyone was really friendly and they had gin.’
- ‘It has an excellent selection of hip-hop music turned nice and loud for you to dance to.’
- ‘It may look like a cheap gimmick to some but it adds that refreshing slice of humour that is so missing from other top hip-hop acts.’
- ‘Thirty years ago he fused the sound of punk with dub reggae and early hip-hop acts and created something new.’
- ‘The current edition of music mag Q has a spoof exam paper for hip-hop studies.’
- ‘I was amazed when I first got into the UK hip-hop scene at how political the music is.’
- ‘Sixtoo has become, in only a few years, one of the major players on the underground hip-hop scene.’
- ‘Nu Flow is definitely best described as the his and hers of hip-hop albums.’
- ‘Who knew the overbearing Elliot had such a punched up hip-hop album in the works?’
- ‘Interestingly it is this link with the Warp hip-hop star that helped draw awareness to the group.’
- ‘Moving away from the traditional methods of hip-hop production is an interesting step.’
1980s: reduplication probably based on hip.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.