A style of popular music of US black and Hispanic origin, featuring rap with an electronic backing.
- ‘First, it is a new medium that has arrived in the past decade or so, like web art or hip-hop music.’
- ‘If you're only going to buy one hip-hop album this year, make it this one.’
- ‘We have got loads more Harmonic 33 hip-hop instrumentals planned for this year also.’
- ‘Dark, observant hip-hop meets geezer Garage on the harsh and honest streets.’
- ‘Most get shined by both jazz and hip-hop heads and end up on the compost heap.’
- ‘Lil Kim may claim to be the Queen Bee, but she has to work hard to keep up with her hip-hop sistas.’
- ‘This Government is paying for hip-hop trips and spending millions of dollars on the arts.’
- ‘We would also put on gigs, at the Boardwalk mostly as a sort of hip-hop circus.’
- ‘The use of hip-hop beats and structure characterises the majority of the compositions here.’
- ‘They played hip-hop music and everyone was really friendly and they had gin.’
- ‘It has an excellent selection of hip-hop music turned nice and loud for you to dance to.’
- ‘It may look like a cheap gimmick to some but it adds that refreshing slice of humour that is so missing from other top hip-hop acts.’
- ‘Thirty years ago he fused the sound of punk with dub reggae and early hip-hop acts and created something new.’
- ‘The current edition of music mag Q has a spoof exam paper for hip-hop studies.’
- ‘I was amazed when I first got into the UK hip-hop scene at how political the music is.’
- ‘Sixtoo has become, in only a few years, one of the major players on the underground hip-hop scene.’
- ‘Nu Flow is definitely best described as the his and hers of hip-hop albums.’
- ‘Who knew the overbearing Elliot had such a punched up hip-hop album in the works?’
- ‘Interestingly it is this link with the Warp hip-hop star that helped draw awareness to the group.’
- ‘Moving away from the traditional methods of hip-hop production is an interesting step.’
1980s: reduplication probably based on hip.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.