Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lower part of the brainstem, comprising the cerebellum, pons, and medulla oblongata.Also called rhombencephalon
- ‘Over time the neural tube expands at one end to form an embryonic brain with constrictions marking the forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain.’
- ‘The thought of that virus wandering about in my hindbrain did not please me.’
- ‘I found a spinal cord, a hindbrain, a midbrain, a forebrain, all organized in similar ways to my own nervous system.’
- ‘The cranial neural crest that migrates out from the rhombomeres of the dorsal region of the hindbrain also has a segmental arrangement.’
- ‘The ability to maintain gaze can be profoundly disturbed by damage to the brain stem or hindbrain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.