One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of the two back wings of a four-winged insect.
- ‘Ancient Wings allows users to see how the ventral hindwing of 54 butterflies in the genus Bicyclus have changed over time.’
- ‘In the adult female Owl butterfly, parasitic wasps ride on the mother's hindwing and jump off like pirates as she deposits her treasure.’
- ‘You can tell it's a ‘she’ by the relatively thick wing veins and the lack of a pouch-like swelling on a vein on the hindwing.’
- ‘We recorded pronotum length, mean hind femur length, mean forewing length, and mean hindwing length for each individual.’
- ‘The hindwings are usually so decayed as to be unrecognizable.’
- ‘Halteres are the tiny club-shaped hindwings characteristic of all flies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.