Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the two back wings of a four-winged insect.
- ‘Ancient Wings allows users to see how the ventral hindwing of 54 butterflies in the genus Bicyclus have changed over time.’
- ‘You can tell it's a ‘she’ by the relatively thick wing veins and the lack of a pouch-like swelling on a vein on the hindwing.’
- ‘We recorded pronotum length, mean hind femur length, mean forewing length, and mean hindwing length for each individual.’
- ‘The hindwings are usually so decayed as to be unrecognizable.’
- ‘Halteres are the tiny club-shaped hindwings characteristic of all flies.’
- ‘In the adult female Owl butterfly, parasitic wasps ride on the mother's hindwing and jump off like pirates as she deposits her treasure.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.