Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The summit of a hill.
top, peak, mountaintop, crest, crown, apex, vertex, apogee, tip, capView synonyms
- ‘First was the development of defended settlements, usually on hilltops or promontories that afforded natural defence.’
- ‘From a hilltop, Bill Adams points to the next ridge, which is now heavily wooded.’
- ‘Most were found on hillside slopes although some were located on hilltops or knolls.’
- ‘No sooner had he done this than it was decided to move the Academy from the damp riverside to the hilltop.’
- ‘They occur in many different situations in the landscape including river valleys and hilltops.’
- ‘Willow will be planted to shore up the banks of the River Devon and wetland created to soak up water on neighbouring hilltops.’
- ‘But it's now believed to come from ‘kan’ or ‘summit’, because the earliest settlers settled on the summits or hilltops.’
- ‘Coastal areas, hilltops, and mountain passes are common areas for wind farms.’
- ‘Low clouds embraced the hilltops around the valley, tendrils of mist wending down into the frost-rimed trees along the slopes.’
- ‘This may explain, in part, why this is occurring on many hillsides or hilltops.’
- ‘Beyond the village, Eastern Shura forces advanced up a narrow, forested valley, while the tanks shelled the hilltops a mile away.’
- ‘No one-off houses scar the hilltops and valleys.’
- ‘Less lime is generally required on bottomland, more on hillsides and the most on hilltops.’
- ‘Kammu houses are built close together in the village, located on a hilltop or halfway up a mountain.’
- ‘On Monday they will head off to explore the extensive network of ancient trails and bridleways that cross the valleys and hilltops.’
- ‘Consequently, hilltops may not be key or decisive terrain because you cannot observe through the canopy.’
- ‘As the region was swamped by the new lake and hilltops turned into small islands, top predators like jaguars and harpy eagles fled the area.’
- ‘The hilltops and ridges generally have a mix dominated by oaks, Carya glabra, and Pinus rigida.’
- ‘Sunday dawned grey and forbidding as clouds hung low over Lough Talt, clinging ominously to the hilltops around the lake.’
- ‘Constructed on hilltops with views of major valleys, the pucaras had barracks, houses, reservoirs, and a sun temple.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.