Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A race for vehicles up a steep, often winding, hill.
- ‘A highlight will be a points battle for the King of the Mountains hill climb jersey at Oxenhope.’
- ‘The car will be sold in coming months and the proceeds going towards the preservation of the hill climb.’
- ‘The tarmac racing at the festival started yesterday with a speed hill climb at Oliver's Mount, to be followed by a sprint meeting today.’
- ‘Events varied from 20-km solo and team time trials to cross-country races, a hill climb and a dirt criterium.’
- ‘Clearly, in a hill climb, just go for the light weight.’
- ‘He thought it would make for a great late season hill climb race, like they have in cycling.’
- ‘She once, famously, beat a famous Australian racing driver in a hill climb, and I suspect given the opportunity she could have been very good.’
- ‘What was the make of the first four wheel drive to run in a hill climb?’
- ‘The North Mayo Leisure Cycling Club have arranged a hill climb for St. Stephen's Day.’
- ‘On a hill climb, power and traction are essential, but a fast time turns on the racer's ability to carry speed through corners.’
- ‘The hill climb season is now upon us and Otley CC members have been competing.’
- ‘He designed and built two trials racing cars which competed in the Rest and Be Thankful hill climb race held every year in Scotland.’
- ‘He then followed up with a fourth place in the hill climb and a further second place in the 15-mile time trial which rounded off the series.’
- ‘For example, ice racing is more about handling and poses different obstacles than a hill climb.’
- ‘Mayo and district motor sport club ran a hill climb on Achill Island on Sunday.’
- ‘‘I have ridden the bike in trials with a different engine but it is the first time I have done a freak hill climb on it,’ he said.’
- ‘Competitors were treated to a well deserved drink and sandwiches at the Hare and Hounds Pub following the hill climb.’
- ‘Last week I mentioned that in 1900, a racing version hybrid vehicle, complete with the designer at the wheel, won the Semmering hill climb.’
- ‘He finished first in the hill climb earlier that day.’
- ‘The Unitil Road Race is totally different with a big hill climb to the finish.’
hill climb/ˈhil ˌklīm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.