One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An infinite-dimensional analog of Euclidean space.
- ‘In short, to have any hope of understanding what a Hilbert space is, you must learn and digest a whole hierarchy of lower-level concepts first.’
- ‘His theorem, now called the Riesz - Fischer theorem, which he proved in 1907, is fundamental in the Fourier analysis of Hilbert space.’
- ‘He took various ideas of Hilbert on integral equations and combined these into the concept of a Hilbert space around 1905.’
- ‘In 1943 he proved the Gelfand Naimark theorem on self-adjoint algebras of operators in Hilbert space.’
- ‘They showed that these rings could always be represented as a ring of linear operators on a Hilbert space.’
Early 20th century: named after David Hilbert (1862–1943), German mathematician.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.