Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A broad felt-tipped pen used to overlay transparent fluorescent color on text or a part of an illustration, leaving it legible and emphasized.
- ‘‘Aunt Lori is getting married,’ Sherri commented, marking the date with a highlighter in her appointment book.’
- ‘Keep the study zone bright and clean, keep study supplies like pens, paper, highlighters and a dictionary on hand, and keep it free of distractions like the television, the telephone and loud music.’
- ‘I ended up sitting reading it on the long journey southwards to London, with my highlighter and red pencil, marking the errors in the book as I read.’
- ‘I'm one of those people who reads books with a highlighter or pen and I note passages that I find particularly meaningful/moving/well-written/enraging.’
- ‘When I left for pastures new, I had literally a couple of dozen pencils, disposable ballpoints, marker pens, and highlighters stashed in my top drawer.’
2A cosmetic that is lighter than the wearer's foundation or skin, used to emphasize features such as the eyes or cheekbones.
- ‘Adding a drop or two of a liquid highlighter to your foundation will increase luminosity and produce an overall glow.’
- ‘I used highlighter under the eyebrows and silver on her eyes and a purply-mauve on her lips with a pink gloss.’
- ‘The creamy concealers and highlighters in Pixi's Eye Bright Kit are the ultimate cover-up for bleary eyes the morning after the night before.’
- ‘Imitate the look with the newest highlighters or light-reflecting lotions and tints, which help scatter light, leaving you with a noticeably glowing look.’
- ‘The four eyeshadows are easy to apply (with fingertips) and also double up as highlighters and lipgloss.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.