One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vigorous Scottish dance consisting of a series of complex steps performed solo, originally to celebrate victory.
- ‘Other numbers featured the Highland fling, a lively Scottish folk dance complete with bagpipes, but combined with elements of ballroom dance, modern dance and even disco, with the troupe members decked out in various glitzy costumes.’
- ‘I have wanted to come since I was 10 years old and I had a Scottish nanny called Janet Stewart who taught me how to do the Highland fling.’
- ‘Competitors danced the Highland fling, the sword dance, the Highland reel, the sailor's hornpipe, the Irish Jig and other dances, preferably to the music of the bagpipe.’
- ‘The men donned kilts, while the women joined in reels and Highland flings.’
- ‘At one point they do a Gay Gordons and then a sort of Highland fling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.