Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Clothing in the traditional style of the Scottish Highlands, including the kilt, now chiefly worn on formal occasions.
- ‘The only rig permitted at most of the Highland balls is white tie or Highland dress.’
- ‘One of his favourite memories, he says, was ‘when my dad marched Sonny through the streets of Glasgow in full Highland dress.’’
- ‘Although Highland dress was proscribed in the wake of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, it returned with a vengeance in the 19th century.’
- ‘The repeal of 1782 reinstated Highland dress and it soon became all the rage with all classes of society.’
- ‘They were followed by military bands, pipers in Highland dress and vintage military vehicles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.