One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing in the traditional style of the Scottish Highlands, including the kilt, now chiefly worn on formal occasions.
- ‘They were followed by military bands, pipers in Highland dress and vintage military vehicles.’
- ‘The only rig permitted at most of the Highland balls is white tie or Highland dress.’
- ‘The repeal of 1782 reinstated Highland dress and it soon became all the rage with all classes of society.’
- ‘One of his favourite memories, he says, was ‘when my dad marched Sonny through the streets of Glasgow in full Highland dress.’’
- ‘Although Highland dress was proscribed in the wake of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, it returned with a vengeance in the 19th century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.