Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually treated as singular] Advanced mathematics, such as number theory and topology.
- ‘During the period 1892-1908 the University of Chicago was unsurpassed in America as an institution for the study of higher mathematics.’
- ‘In November 1877, Cremona was appointed to the chair of higher mathematics at the University of Rome.’
- ‘Napier did not acquire his knowledge of higher mathematics at St Andrews nor did he acquire his deep knowledge of classical literature there.’
- ‘In higher mathematics, some of the deepest surprises come about from unexpected connections between apparently quite different parts of the subject.’
- ‘Without zero of course algebra, let alone modern higher mathematics was impossible.’
higher mathematics/ˈhī(ə)r maTH(ə)ˈmadiks/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.