Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of the literary methods and sources discernible in a text, especially as applied to biblical writings.
- ‘They have tried to find what they call ‘a historical Jesus, ‘following in the footsteps of 19th century higher criticism.’’
- ‘Accusers usually identify higher criticism with liberal theology, but in Baptist circles, many of the teachers and writers are often conservative in their theological views, but still appreciate sound critical scholarship.’
- ‘In the early 1900s a conservative movement sprung up within Protestantism in reaction to liberal theology and the form of Biblical interpretation known as higher criticism.’
- ‘The conflict between science and religion, and the controversy engendered by higher criticism of the Bible, challenged the theological foundations of evangelicalism.’
- ‘With liberal theology, the postliberal school takes for granted that the Bible is not infallible and that biblical higher criticism is fully legitimate and necessary.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.