One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A court that can overrule the decision of another.
- ‘After the court handed down its verdict of 1,020 yuan compensation, the plaintiff appealed to a higher court but lost his appeal.’
- ‘This past April, however, Utah's attorney general asked the higher court to reinstate the original charges.’
- ‘The legal system depends on lower-court judges obeying higher courts, just as it depends on litigants obeying judges.’
- ‘She said in mid-June that she would go to a higher court and appeal the decision.’
- ‘Judges should take a consistent approach to recurring issues and are obliged to follow the decisions of earlier cases, at least when they have been given by the higher courts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.