One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall chest of drawers on legs.
- ‘The purchase included a ‘New England hooked rug,’ a mirror, a picture of George Washington, and a lot of maple and walnut furniture - four beds, one highboy, one lowboy and five tables.’
- ‘The overstuffed chairs, the curtains, the rice-carved bed, the highboy, the bath fixtures, all evoked a sense of that decorous, long-past era.’
- ‘At the same time, in nearby Philadelphia, dishonest cabinetmakers were making elaborately carved scrolled top highboys and chests-on-chests from plain flat top ones.’
- ‘She peeked inside the trunk first, but it was empty. Ditto the highboys. The wardrobe, though was half-full of what appeared to be very, very old winter coats.’
- ‘For instance, the undersides of the bottom drawers of a highboy will be darker than those of the upper drawers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.