One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal eaten in the late afternoon or early evening, typically consisting of a cooked dish, bread and butter, and tea.
- ‘Lunch, high tea, and dinner are served in the Teahouse, a tiny, romantic, cliffside restaurant.’
- ‘The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans is offering a grand high tea with a low-carb menu in its Lobby Lounge.’
- ‘You can imagine the stripy bathing suit, and the lacework surf as it ebbs about her feet, and in the evening high tea and hushed gossip.’
- ‘We serve tea with breakfast, iced tea before and hot tea after lunch and high tea in the evenings.’
- ‘The Ritz is the setting for high teas, lavish celebrity parties - and now a Littlewoods clothing launch.’
- ‘Friday's menu on board the airline's carriers was spread on a table - breakfast, high tea and dinner.’
- ‘The mass walk will end at The Claridges hotel where a high tea has been organised in memory of the tsunami victims.’
- ‘The thought of a high tea brought back childhood memories of Sundays at my grandparents.’
- ‘The Mint Bar is the venue for more casual food, or try the Atrium for a gourmet sandwich or salad at lunch, or for high tea.’
- ‘They're big on tradition here, especially on Sundays when they offer a special high tea, together with a carvery.’
- ‘We also had scones, crumpets, sandwiches, and tea for our afternoon and high teas, which were currently in vogue with Caurian ladies.’
- ‘‘There's nothing they can't provide for you,’ says Burton, who loves afternoon high tea while overlooking Michigan Avenue.’
- ‘Dressed in costumes and using wooden racquets to recreate a 1903 atmosphere, club members enjoyed an afternoon of tennis and high tea.’
- ‘Each day comprises three rounds and the entry fee of $42 per team for each day includes morning tea, a hot lunch and high tea.’
- ‘The event, which took place at the Dromhall Hotel, Killarney, was followed by a high tea and disco.’
- ‘Substantial midday dinners and high teas were handed through the serving hatch by Jenny, my mother's live-in cook and general maid.’
- ‘A high tea to display student designs will begin at noon Saturday, April 5, in the Joan Bice Underwood Tea Room, MacKay.’
- ‘A very reasonable entry fee of $42 per team includes morning tea, hot lunch and high tea each day.’
- ‘Following high tea in Charleville and musical entertainment the happy group returned to Setrights at midnight.’
- ‘Like specialty coffee, gourmet teas have grown increasingly popular, and not just for afternoon high tea.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.