One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A meal eaten in the late afternoon or early evening, typically consisting of a cooked dish, bread and butter, and tea.
- ‘The mass walk will end at The Claridges hotel where a high tea has been organised in memory of the tsunami victims.’
- ‘Substantial midday dinners and high teas were handed through the serving hatch by Jenny, my mother's live-in cook and general maid.’
- ‘We serve tea with breakfast, iced tea before and hot tea after lunch and high tea in the evenings.’
- ‘We also had scones, crumpets, sandwiches, and tea for our afternoon and high teas, which were currently in vogue with Caurian ladies.’
- ‘‘There's nothing they can't provide for you,’ says Burton, who loves afternoon high tea while overlooking Michigan Avenue.’
- ‘Following high tea in Charleville and musical entertainment the happy group returned to Setrights at midnight.’
- ‘A very reasonable entry fee of $42 per team includes morning tea, hot lunch and high tea each day.’
- ‘The Ritz-Carlton New Orleans is offering a grand high tea with a low-carb menu in its Lobby Lounge.’
- ‘The Ritz is the setting for high teas, lavish celebrity parties - and now a Littlewoods clothing launch.’
- ‘Friday's menu on board the airline's carriers was spread on a table - breakfast, high tea and dinner.’
- ‘You can imagine the stripy bathing suit, and the lacework surf as it ebbs about her feet, and in the evening high tea and hushed gossip.’
- ‘Each day comprises three rounds and the entry fee of $42 per team for each day includes morning tea, a hot lunch and high tea.’
- ‘A high tea to display student designs will begin at noon Saturday, April 5, in the Joan Bice Underwood Tea Room, MacKay.’
- ‘Like specialty coffee, gourmet teas have grown increasingly popular, and not just for afternoon high tea.’
- ‘Lunch, high tea, and dinner are served in the Teahouse, a tiny, romantic, cliffside restaurant.’
- ‘The thought of a high tea brought back childhood memories of Sundays at my grandparents.’
- ‘Dressed in costumes and using wooden racquets to recreate a 1903 atmosphere, club members enjoyed an afternoon of tennis and high tea.’
- ‘The event, which took place at the Dromhall Hotel, Killarney, was followed by a high tea and disco.’
- ‘The Mint Bar is the venue for more casual food, or try the Atrium for a gourmet sandwich or salad at lunch, or for high tea.’
- ‘They're big on tradition here, especially on Sundays when they offer a special high tea, together with a carvery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.