An athletic event in which competitors jump over a bar that is raised until only one competitor can jump over it without dislodging it.
jump over, jump, vault over, vault, spring over, bound over, hurdle, cross over, sail over, leapfrog, high jump, clear, negotiateView synonyms
- ‘Her weekend began in the best possible way with personal bests in her two weakest events, the 80m hurdles and the high jump.’
- ‘He was very athletic and good at the high jump and long jump.’
- ‘Rhodes went on to win both the long jump and high jump.’
- ‘Coomber has competed at amateur level in both the high jump and long jump but never the pole vault.’
- ‘He won gold medals in the long jump and the high jump and rounded off a marvellous display by taking bronze in the 60m sprint.’